The 2026 3 Albums A Week Challenge; August
August
2026 Album Challenge (Home Link)
*This month I kind of got a little caught up in playing personal favorites instead of stretching my legs a little. With four months of my challenge left, I still have time to do a bit more of that. I still have a few to get to that were recommendations from friends, so that should be fun as always. I am already studying on my "challenge" for 2027 and I believe I may do an "Album Showdown", complete with a bracket of my 32 favorites. I want to see where it takes me when I have to pair two great records against one another and then keep putting them to the test.
Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson
Format: Vinyl
Stereo
Notes: A terrific, if not slightly dated album, from one of pop music's great voices. Well, at least until he ruined it with the help of John Lennon and the Hollywood Vampires. I try to give this a listen at least twice a year. Highlights are "Coconut", "Gotta Get Up", and "Without You", but the real steal of the album is the rockin' "Jump Into The Fire", made famous in the helicopter scene in the movie Goodfellas.
Steely Dan- Two Against Nature
Format: CD
Stereo
Notes: I have really come around to this record. I had always thought it was a bit sterile, but upon further listening, I was off the mark. There are a few songs where the drums are a bit too robotic (maybe flat?), for lack of a better word, but honestly, I just didn't take the time to appreciate the layers of sound Fagen and Becker meticulously supplied the songs with. My favorites are "Gaslighting Abby", "Almost Gothic", and Janie Runaway. An album that truly grows with every listen.
Joe Henry - Scar
Format: CD
Stereo
Notes: The easy path for listening to a Joe Henry record would be to go with Fuse. A terrific album that saw Henry push out of his "alt-country" image and into some funk and groovy hooks. But, I will get to that later. Scar is the follow up and isn't quite the equal to Fuse, but it does its' best to get there and it starts to show his veering towards jazz. It has an incredible five song run to begin the record and that probably makes the rest feel like a let down. The favorites for me are "Stop", "Mean Flower", and "Rough and Tumble". He has musical run ins on occasion with his sister in law Madonna (yes, THAT Madonna) and he delivers an all-time great quote regarding their both recording the song "Stop";
Another track of note is "Stop", a tango written by Henry. His wife, Melanie, sent an early demo of the track to her sister Madonna, who re-used the lyrics for "Don't Tell Me". Henry often quips during live gigs that "I recorded my version as a tango, and she recorded hers as a hit". (from Wikipedia)
Phil Collins - Face Value
Format: CD
Stereo
Notes: Obviously, everyone has heard "In The Air Tonight", but I wanted to find out if there was more to the solo debut of Collins. Turns out there was. An album that he conceptualized as his marriage was breaking up, it somehow feels a bit more lighthearted than one would expect. Being a drummer, he really put an effort into the percussion, which is continuously a highlight, song after song. Horns were also a big part of the project. "I Missed Again" is a stand out and there is a weird yet irresistible version of The Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows"....not an easy track to tackle.
John Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee
Format: IPod
Stereo
Notes: Another standout record from Mellencamp. He churns out "banger" after "banger" (as the kids say) on this 1987 album. "Paper in Fire", "Cherry Bomb", "The Real Life" are all fantastic songs, but the absolute standout and my favorite song of his is "Check It Out". The album is a reflection on American life and growing older in complicated times. It's not quite the listen that Scarecrow is, but it's not too far off.
Christopher Cross - Christopher Cross
Stereo
Notes: A big hit upon it's release in 1979, it's kind of hard for me to believe I hadn't listened to it yet. Sure, I have heard "Sailing" and "Ride Like The Wind", but the coolness of the music doesn't end there. "Never Be The Same" is another piece of ear candy. He doesn't show off his talents with the guitar near enough for my taste, although he does get in a couple of solos to close out a few tunes. Too many people don't know how great of a guitarist he is. The album is clean and well produced, much like a Steely Dan record. I can't see it being something I will go back to often, but I haven't had my last listen.
The Beatles - Revolver
Stereo
Notes: This continues to teeter with Abbey Road as my favorite Beatles album. I don't have a lot to say about it. If you don't know it by now, where have you been? "Taxman", "Eleanor Rigby", "Good Day Sunshine", etc....
Their transition from pure pop to stretching what pop could be was in full effect here. What started with Help and Rubber Soul was finally taken to the brink with this record and the transition from the black and white cover art to the color explosion on Sgt Peppers is a sometimes unnoticed characteristic and analogy. One of rock's best albums ever. It just is.
The Monkees - Headquarters
Stereo
Notes: Probably my favorite album by the Monkees. It was their first shot at making a record where they had a large piece of creative control and played a majority of the instruments. It's very much of its' time, but still a fun listen with "Randy Scouse Git" closing the record with a highlight.
The Cult - Sonic Temple
Stereo
Notes: A recommendation from my friend Larry. It's not exactly in my wheelhouse, but I am glad to be able to go into directions I wouldn't always choose for myself. Is this metal? Maybe....but I think it's probably more of a hard rock album (ala Def Leppard) with some polish on it. "Edie (Cia Baby) is a good one and "New York City" has a driving beat that would make a great driving song.
My Morning Jacket - Z
Stereo
Notes: I was addicted to this band in the 2000's. They play a great live show and their albums can go in different directions and offer a smooth flow. This one utilized plenty of keyboards and, as usual, the soaring voice of Jim James, with "Gideon" being among their most underrated songs. "Off The Record" and "Wordless Chorus" shine also.
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Stereo
Notes: A true gem and perhaps my favorite Wilco record. This really broadened what was already a fairly eclectic catalog. Abstract lyrics with some great guitar riffs sprinkled in, kind of recalls REM, if not in sound, then in execution. "Jesus Etc" is a GREAT song, with "Pot Kettle Black", "Heavy Metal Drummer" and....well....hell...the entire record is a treat.
Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
Stereo
Notes: It generally gets overlooked on any "Best Debut Records of All Time" list, but it shouldn't. The record shines. It really precedes what will become the Steely Dan trademarks. Flawless and masterful musicianship and biting, satirical (in many cases) lyrics. This is from a time when they were an actual band and not just a two man crew hiring studio musicians to craft their albums. "Dirty Work" is an all time great 70's song with "Reelin' In The Years" and "Do It Again" pulling the most weight with radio play. If you have not heard this record, please do yourself a favor and give it a listen.
REM - Automatic for the People
Stereo
Notes: I have been hitting a lot of personal favorites this month....not really stretching out too much, but sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants! And the heart chose wisely. This is pretty much their "White Album". Sonically it fits together fairly well, and some of the song writing wonders into the abstract and analogy. It has some very low key, almost somber moments (Find A River, Sweetness Follows, Everybody Hurts) but then will turn right around and inject some energy into you (Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite, Ignoreland, Man on the Moon). Another album I can't recommend highly enough. A true 5 star effort, from one of America's great bands.
Neil Young - Harvest
Stereo
Notes: OK, another personal favorite. Is it really rock? Is it really country? Is it folk? Yes, it is. If you think you don't like Neil Young, then give this some attention from beginning to end. It flows fantastically and is much more layered musically then first impressions. Some of Young's best songwriting, with greats like "Old Man", "Alabama", "Needle And The Damage Done".






.jpg)



.png)



No comments:
Post a Comment