Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Star Wars: Phantom Menace in 3-D Sucks


It's high time I said something about another movie. This time, I'm going to tackle the fourth Star Wars film, which is really the first. Sure, it's been out on VHS and DVD for years, and most recently on Blu Ray, but this time it's different. You can go to the theater and see it in 3-D. But, I'll give you a tip; you can look at a piece of shit film as it was inteneded or you can see a piece of shit film in 3-D, either way, it's still a piece of shit. And this is from a Star Wars lover. 

I wanted to like Phantom Menace, I really did. There are parts of it I do enjoy, but there are not very many times where I feel like it fits well with the original trilogy. Why have prequels if you have to MAKE it all fit together and leave a bunch of questions and half assed reasons for things to happen later down the line? Oh..I know...money. 

First off, I have no idea how this thing is going to look in 3-D, but it really doesn't matter. It's a sorry piece of the Star Wars saga and unless he goes back and re-edits little Vader and Jar Jar, I have no interest in plopping down more money on George Lucas' table. They are his films. He can do as he pleases. But, if you have no interest in improving on your art (if it can be called that at all, I would say it's not), why wouldn't you just leave it alone. Oh...I know...again...money. 



When we finally get around to the original trilogy being released in 3-D, it will be the third time these movies have gotten a theater release. I support that, just to give new fans a shot at seeing them on a big screen. It doesn't mean I support all the changes or the 3-D concept though. For what it's worth, I'll cave in and say that the Phantom Menace is really just a movie for kids and making toys and not for big time science fiction fans. I'm not a big sci-fi guy, but I'm appreciating the genre a little more as I get older. I don't suppose I can say anything about this film that I haven't before. It's got a solid 45 minutes in it and that's about all. 



For the record, I will see films 3,4,5, and 6 in 3-D, should I be blessed to live that long. Those are the films that I think stay truest to form from the original Star Wars. George Lucas has done nothing but play around with Star Wars for decades. I wish he'd stop and just let them be what they are. Or maybe, we (critical a-holes) should just shut up and let him do what he will. They are his films. They are his legacy. Maybe I just don't want to be reminded that a couple of these films exist?

.


No comments:

Post a Comment