Monday, October 18, 2010

42....think I'll stop and rest awhile


Well, today (October 18th) I turn 42 years old. Most of us probably used to see that the age of 40 was a long way off. That it was an age for the old. Now that I'm starting to get up a head of steam towards 50, I can honestly say that being in your 40's isn't all bad. I've learned quite a bit in my life and one of the things I've learned is that I still have a lot to learn. I thought, since I haven't wrote in awhile, that I'd write some things that apply to me since hitting my 40's, that were not necessarily true of me at younger ages. Some are serious, some not.

I do not know everything about anything, but it seems I know a little bit about a lot.

I don't see myself as invincible, I see myself as an extra in the movie of life.

Shows about space and nature ARE interesting. Who knew?

 I don't care much about clocks or watches. My IPod keeps time.

My mom and dad were right about some things.

I have to take medicine to keep me from dying early. But it doesn't protect you against getting hit by a truck or shot with a stray arrow in the chest from a hunter while you are walking in the forest.

I have to take medicine to keep me from killing.

I realize how good of a show "Seinfeld" was.

I enjoy being around people younger than me in many ways. They are not as set in their ways and have not had their dreams dashed....yet.

Seeing other people's points of view and trying to understand them doesn't mean you are compromising your thoughts and ideas, it means you are interested in truth.

Mowing grass still sucks.

I'm better in bed. It's been years since I've fallen out.

Sleeping means less to me. Learning means more.

I still am not sure if eggs are good or bad for me.

Children should be shaken, not stirred.

"Thriller" wasn't really THAT great.

I have the capacity to change a great deal in a short amount of time.

Baseball is not better than sex. Information I could have used when I was 17.

I still care about the friends that have been close to me at different parts of my life, even though I can't interact with them the way I used to.

I need my kids more than they need me. Although when they were babies, they needed me more. My kids couldn't even feed themselves or go to the bathroom properly when they were babies. They're late bloomers.

What truly matters is who has the best bands on their IPod. I see that now.

Chickens are not very good house pets.

I think life is much more enjoyable at 42 then it was at 22 or 32. But somehow, it's not as fun.

Thanks for reading and caring. Enjoy you life, someday it will end. If I've ever loved you and considered you a friend, I still do and always will in that place and time.

Never do what your told, plenty of time for that shit when your old
Paul Westerberg

Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64
Paul McCartney

Howdy Doody, baseball cards, and birthdays take me back
to a world gone away
Chicago

Hey nineteen, No, we got nothing in common, No, we can't talk at all
Steely Dan

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder, I'm an over 40 victim of fate
Jimmy Buffett

still crazy, after all these years
Paul Simon






No comments:

Post a Comment